Sunday, July 31, 2011

The Perfect Kitchen

Realtors like to say there are two things that sell a home: the kitchen and bathrooms. I think this is true, because every time Ben and I are scoping out a new nest, those are the first rooms we look at.  If the kitchen is ugly, you can usually bet I won't be sold on the place. So! I thought today we could talk about what I think makes a great kitchen. 

First and foremost, and I cannot emphasize this enough: I. Need. Counter space! We live in a small apartment at the moment, and while it is a nice place, I can't wait to be in a house so I have some breathing room in the kitchen again. It's not just for work space, I also have canisters, cookbooks, and some small appliances that need room too. I think this kitchen has the right amount. 

  

This kitchen also leads me to my next point: openness. I love a kitchen that is open to the living and dining areas! This makes the space feel larger than it is, and I don't feel like I'm separated from the rest of the family while I'm cooking.  

I also love the island in this kitchen! I've always wanted one of those. I really like the antique white cabinetry as well. It fits my style perfectly. And who doesn't love granite countertops?!

  

I believe that every beautiful kitchen needs a window. Natural sunlight has a way of cheering me up, and it makes me want to be in the room. My grandmother has a window in her kitchen, just like the one above. I've always loved it and I think it would be great for a kitchen herb garden. I also love the wood trim above this window as a replacement for a traditional valance. 

Now, let's talk flooring. I'm not a huge fan of tiled kitchen floors. I'm not sure why, since I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with a tile floor for the kitchen, it just doesn't appeal to me. I am, however, a huge fan of hardwood floors! 

  

I think this hardwood is the perfect shade! Not too dark, not too light, and it's a nice warm color. This is the look I want in my dream kitchen. 

And last but not least, I like quirky decorations. Not something too weird, just what you don't see every day. So when I came across this on Pinterest today, I fell in love. 

  

Muffin tins, pie plates, and bundt pans hanging on the wall! So clever and cute! I will definitely be using this idea in my next kitchen. I would love to do this with some antique cookware! 

Thanks for stopping by today! This is my last post for July, and thank goodness for that. I will not miss summer when it's gone this year! See y'all next time. 







2 comments:

  1. I love that first kitchen. I think people really underestimate a white kitchen... They do show dirt easier for sure, but it really makes the room much lighter and open feeling! I would show homes for a job if I could... Not actually being a realtor, but be the person at model homes that gives the tours. Ya, I'm a design geek :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Misty, that sounds like a fun job! Nothing wrong with being a design geek either! ;)

    ReplyDelete