Monday, July 25, 2011

A Little Perspective

Last night, our internet was down for a while so I decided to turn in early, and read a little in bed. The book I picked up was Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo.

Normally, like most people, I'm skeptical of these "I went to Heaven" stories, but this one seems genuine. I think I find it more believable because it's being told by a child. Jesus said we are to have child-like faith, right? I won't go into details and spoil it for those who are planning to read this book, but I will say that it was a very moving book. If you have recently lost a loved one, this book will be a great comfort to you. I know it was for me.

I finished the book last night as well. It's a quick read. So I said my prayers and fell asleep. When I woke up this morning, I decided it was high time for me to start talking to Sadie about Jesus. I do not want her growing up without knowing who He is.

So, I sat down with her and asked, "Do you know who Jesus is, baby?" And wouldn't you know, my normally stir crazy 2 year old sat perfectly still and looked up at me as if to say..."Well? Are you going to tell me?" So I continued, trying to explain it in a way she could understand. I said " Jesus loves you very much! He is God's son. God sent him to us, so that we could all go to Heaven and see Him, Jesus' daddy." She just smiled and said "Daddy." Not knowing what else to tell a two year old, I just continued to tell her how much Jesus loves her. Now I know it's time for us to find a church out here, so we can get her in Sunday school.

All this reading and telling my daughter about the Lord made me think of one of my favorite praise songs. It's called "I Am" by Mark Schultz. The chorus goes " I am, the fount of living water, the risen Son of Man, the healer of the broken, and when you cry I am, your Savior and Redeemer, who bore the sin of man, the author and perfector, beginning and the end....I am."

Those lines sure put things in perspective, don't they? I'm reminded that He is! He is my savior, and He'll never leave me, no matter how often I fall. When I'm in my darkest moments, He still hears me. And He'll always take me back.

I'm obviously not a pastor, and I know I'm not the best at getting this kind of thing "on paper" so to speak. I just felt so moved last night that I wanted to get this out.  I'm off to crank up some Third Day and get started on my chores for the week. Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

  1. It is really hard trying to explain Jesus to a 2 year old. We got Ethan a children's book with tons of pictures and short verses about Jesus. He reads it every night and we sing "Jesus Loves Me". Its hard to know what he understands, but the more you talk with her the more she will come to know Jesus. I love third day and Chris Tomlin, and well I could go on and on!

    ReplyDelete