Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Mommy's Salary

Today, as the dishwasher was humming along and the washer and dryer were occupied, I was playing around on the computer and came across a really fun site:

http://swz.salary.com/momsalarywizard/htmls/mswl_momcenter.html

I did the personalizing thing, and found out if I was actually paid for what I do around here, my salary would be $98,590.00! Say what?! That is more money than I've ever made in my life!

This got me thinking, and it made me more appreciative of what my own mom did for my sister and I while we were growing up. She had to work, but she spent the rest of her time taking care of us and our home.  She was (and still is!) a pro at all things domestic. She deserved a higher salary too!

Maybe being a barefoot in the kitchen stereotype from the 1950s isn't so bad after all! If only we could find a way to turn that imaginary salary into reality....

4 comments:

  1. I completely agree! It's a 24 hour a day job. I am grateful that I get to stay with Felicity, but it is hard work for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, in the 1950's you wouldn't have been barefoot, you would have been vacuuming in heels and pearls! LOL!!! I'm glad we've finally reached a point where women (and men) can choose to work, be a stay-at-home parent, or try to do both without society trying to tell them their choice is wrong. :-) As to your salary, you may not draw a salary for all of your hard work, but you can't beat the benefits!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that sounds absolutely great...someone needs to pay up lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Misty- This is the hardest job I've ever worked, but I have to say it's the most rewarding by a long shot! Eli you are so right! It's a shame that just a few decades ago men and women were judged for staying home (or for going to work when they had small children.) Now where did I put those pearls... :). Latoya let's start a fundraiser, lol!

    ReplyDelete