Thursday, July 14, 2011

A Tribute to Lavender

Lavender (n.): 1. a : a Mediterranean mint (Lavandula angustifolia syn. L. officinalis) widely cultivated for its narrow aromatic leaves and spikes of lilac-purple flowers which are dried and used in sachets and from which is extracted an aromatic oil used chiefly in perfumery
b : any of several plants congeneric with true lavender and used similarly but often considered inferior
  2
: a pale purple

(Definition taken from Miriam-Webster.com) 

I think I'm in love with this little plant! I love the way it looks when bundled and dried. In fact, I want some of this for my home. How pretty would this be sitting on a kitchen window sill? 

 

Lavender not only looks pretty, it smells pretty too! It has a very relaxing aroma. Thus, it's used in calming bath soaks and bedtime baby washes. As a mom, I cannot praise this attribute enough! It really helped Sadie sleep when she was tiny. 

  

  

I can't talk about lavender without mentioning how pretty the color is! To me, even this component is soothing. This was the inspiration for our second daughter's bedroom. I wanted something other than pink, so we decided on lavender and green. 


  

I guess you could say I'm obsessed with this little purple flower. I just think it's lovely and underused when it comes to decor.  What is your personal color obsession? 







No comments:

Post a Comment