Saturday, July 16, 2011

The Pregnant Lady and the Glass of Water

Today was an adventurous day. Ben, Sadie, and I took a little road trip to Oklahoma City for some baby shopping. The heat was predictably abominable, but we had a great time. The girls got some clothes and we finally managed to settle on a double stroller.  After months of research, this is the one we chose.

  

Not exactly pink and girly but we like the features.  I snagged an outfit for Sadie and some booties for the baby girl, then it was off to the mall. We did some shopping there, and decided we were hungry. So we went to the Cheese Cake Factory. 

...And this is where our story becomes interesting. Sadie was behaving beautifully, and we had just finished eating. While waiting for our check, Sadie decided she wanted to sit with me. We managed to get her to my side of the table just as one of her spider monkey extremities connected with my glass of water. My ice cold glass of water. 

(I should pause here to mention that today I was wearing my favorite pair of linen pants. They are white. I think you need this small detail to truly understand how humiliated I was.)

So there I was, with a lap full of ice water and wearing transparent pants. I said to Ben "How do I walk out of here in see-through pants?!" He and the poor waiter hurriedly mopped the flooded table while I attempted to dry myself. Sadie, of course, found this whole situation hysterical. I think I need to sit down with her and explain the definition of "funny." 

Of course, then we actually had to get up and exit the restaurant. I have never been so embarrassed in my life! People were openly staring at me, although thankfully my maternity shirt was long enough to pull down and keep everything covered. That's when it dawned on me. I was an obviously pregnant woman, with a soaked lap. They thought my water broke! Ben holding Sadie and my arm probably reinforced this notion. I half walked, half waddled my way out to the car and we headed home. 

I guess I'm glad I can find a little humor in this! I would still be dying of shame if I couldn't. I think I'll file this one away in the story vault and save it for retelling when the girls are old enough. It will probably still be hilarious then! 




No comments:

Post a Comment