Saturday, July 2, 2011

A Quick Nursery Project

Baby girl version 2.0 is due November 7th, and that seems like an eternity to me right now. So, to keep myself busy while  version 1.0 is napping, I've begun making little things to decorate the nursery.

Yesterday's project was framing fabric. I know it sounds a little strange at first, (at least it did to Ben, and the lady at Hobby Lobby...), but it really is a neat idea! Here is what you'll need:

 

Picture frames of your choice. I used two plain white 8X10 frames, but you can use as many as you like in whatever size you choose. 

 

Fabric in your choice of colors and prints. I'm using a bright green print and a lavender gingham, to match the nursery colors. 

  

Tulle or ribbon for hanging. 

I bought 1 yard each of the fabric, to allow for correcting my inevitable mistakes. (I'm still a newbie crafter after all.) When I got home, I used the cardboard from the frames as a template to cut the fabric to size. I left a little extra on the edges to allow for attaching it to the back of the frame. 

I used double sided tape to secure the fabric in the back, but you could probably use fabric glue for a more permanent hold. I used the tape just in case I ever want to replace the fabric with photos. 

Then I simply reassembled the frames and attached a loop of tulle to the top of the frames using a heavy duty staple. Here is the finished product. 

  

As you can see, I flubbed a little on the lavender frame, when I didn't pull the fabric tight enough. (This would be why I bought extra fabric and used the tape!) That is an easy enough fix that I will tackle during next nap time.  Overall however I'm pretty pleased with this little project! It doesn't take long and I think it will look neat on the baby's bedroom wall. 

Hope everyone has a wonderful Saturday and a great Independence Day! Thanks for reading! 




No comments:

Post a Comment