Sunday, July 24, 2011

Where Will Our Next Home Be?

Since Ben and I were married three years ago, we have moved three times. That's about typical for his rank, since they are constantly in training for the first few years of their career. I've been told Ben's next duty station will probably be our home for the next three years. That will be nice change, to feel settled for a while instead of going to a new place knowing we will be gone within the year.

Ben has been given a list of the available slots for his class. This list of openings is based solely on the needs of the Army and where personnel is needed. So what that means for us is we get to make a "top 5" list of places we'd like to go, out of the available slots. Our list is as follows:

1. Fort Stewart, Georgia
Fort Stewart is our top choice because it's so close to home for us. We would be able to make frequent trips home, and be available for family gatherings and holidays. Fort Stewart is also close to Savannah, which is a city we love and could have a lot of fun in. At Stewart you are within driving distance of the beach as well, which would be nice for the girls. 

2. Fort Campbell, Kentucky
Fort Campbell is our second choice. We have friends that just moved there, so it would be nice to see them again. Also, I've done my research and I really think I would love to live up there. Fort Campbell sits right on the border of  Kentucky and Tennessee. It would be about an 8 hour drive home, so that's manageable.  It's also not far from the mountains and one of my favorite vacation areas, Gatlinburg, TN. Unfortunately, Campbell seems to be the place everyone wants to go in Ben's class! 

3. Fort Bragg, North Carolina
Our third choice is Fort Bragg in Fayetteville, NC. There are two reasons we didn't put this one higher on our list. One, at Fort Bragg, there is always one brigade on "alert status" at all times. What this means is, if Ben is assigned to the brigade on alert status, he cannot leave the immediate area of post and could be called up to deploy at any time. Two, I have heard some not so good things about Fayetteville. It is affectionately called Fayette-nam, to give you an idea. However, all that being said, Bragg is still super close to home and Ben may not be assigned to the brigade on alert status.

4. Fort Hood, Texas
Even as I'm typing this section, I'm breathing a heavy sigh. I just do not want to end up in Texas. Nothing against Texas, it's just I'm so tired of being in this part of the country.  I honestly don't know too much about this post, other than I don't want to go. By the way, I realize this makes me sound whiny and spoiled! 

5. Fort Lewis, Washington
This is another post I don't know much about.  We put this one on the list because we would rather end up there than at Fort Drum, in New York.  We've heard Lewis is a nice post. 

So those are our choices. Ben is being interviewed by his branch managers this week, and we should know something by mid- August. We've both been nervous since the list came out. We just want to know where we're going. Rest assured, once we have an answer I will be making a post about it so ya'll will be updated. Have a great Sunday! 


1 comment:

  1. Hey, I got your comment but I was unable to reply because your's is set up as no reply comment. But to answer your question, yes you can reply to the direct email sent to you showing there is a comment on your post. (I didn't know this forever)...any who let me focus...I so hope you guys get to go where your heart desires. Im only an hour away from my family so I can only imagine how you feel being so far away from familiar faces. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete