Monday, October 10, 2011

Telling Stories

I received an email today from my grandmother. This always brightens my day, but this time it really made me smile because she told me about her trip to the National Storytelling Festival in Jonesborough, TN.

The National Storytelling Festival is held annually on the first weekend in October. It's a gathering of storytellers, musicians, and the like that takes place in the tiny town of Jonesborough. Everyone gathers in large tents to listen to the folk tales and different stories and listen to the music. I've only been one time, back around 2004 I believe, but I really enjoyed it.

My grandmother told me that my favorite storyteller from the festival passed away in June at the age of 93. Her name was Katherine Windham and she was such a fascinating lady. She grew up in Alabama, the youngest of 7 children, during the great depression. Her stories were always so interesting to me. One of my favorites is the little anecdote she told about buzzards. Did you know, if you see a buzzard gliding through the air, you should watch it until its wings flap, or it's bad luck? (I don't advocate doing this while driving...)

I listened to some audio of her last performance at the festival last year, and one of the things Mrs. Windham said really struck a chord with me. She said  (I'm paraphrasing) "there is no way of saying 'I love you' that is more pleasant than telling someone a story." I really agree with that.

People have always told stories in my family. I think maybe it's a Southern thing, but it's something we've always done, and I grew up hearing some really good ones. From dairy farmers to biochemists, I have a lot of characters in my family tree. Which leads to what my next "project" is going to be.

I would like to start compiling my family's stories into a book. My goal isn't to be published, I just want to collect them in one place so that my daughters can always have them to read and cherish the way I have. I'm going to start by talking to my grandmother when I get home, to see which stories I should include and to ask her for details. I'm really excited about this, and I can't wait to get started. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. I definitely agree with story telling being a southern thing. I often hear some of the best stories from the elders in my family. I think it is great that you are compiling the stories...my grandomother passed last year and I still want to know more...so definitely enjoy the stories while you have the opportunity:)

    ReplyDelete