Thursday, September 15, 2011

32 Week Progress Report

Today was more exciting than I had planned! I was scheduled for the 2nd of many NST (non stress tests) at the hospital this afternoon. I had a hard time finding a parking spot because there was some kind of expo going on, and a lovely completely NON pregnant woman in a mercedes smiled at me while she cut me off to take one of the expectant mother spots. Nice, huh? That should've been my first indication that this was going to be an interesting afternoon.

I finally found a spot all the way across the parking lot and Sadie and I met Ben in the lobby. He met us after work to keep an eye on the munchkin while I was hooked up to the machines. Sadie, being the daddy's girl she is, nearly leaped from my arms into Ben's. I love when she does that!

We finally made it up to L&D, and the nurses set me up right away. It took forever for baby girl to hold still long enough to get a good read on her heartbeat, but once they got it she stayed still. I made myself as comfortable as possible, thinking it would be over in about 20 minutes.

Wrong!

About 10 minutes later the doctor on the floor poked his head behind the curtain and said "Looks like you're going to need a shot kiddo!" I'm thinking "What? No. Not that shot, right?" Because, you see, I have two other friends who told me they had preterm labor and had to get this shot, when they had the same symptoms I have. Cue mini panic attack.

Unfortunately, it was that shot, terbutaline. Terbutaline is an injection that stops contractions. It also makes you feel like you've just downed a gallon of coffee. Or you're on crack. No lie! I had the jitters for a good two hours after receiving it. The nurse also checked to see if things were "progressing," and thankfully, they were not.

So I'm counting my blessings that she'll be in there a while longer! I'm really hoping I'll make it at least another four weeks. Ironically, my blood pressure-the whole reason I'm having these tests in the first place- was completely normal. I guess if it's not one thing it's another!

We finished our crazy day with some really good chili and cornbread. I'm trying to take it easy and Ben is really helping by taking care of Sadie for me. Hopefully tomorrow will be nice and relaxing. Well, as relaxing as it can get with a fiesty two year old to chase after! Hope you all enjoyed your Thursday. See you next time!

1 comment:

  1. Oh My!!! Take care of yourself and yes let Ben do all the other stuff, you have a bigger project going on!

    ReplyDelete